Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Turkey Stromboli

Well, I did it.  I cooked for celebrities!  Well, not anyone like George Clooney or Brad Pitt, but I did cook for some A-MAZ-ING artists.  Sunday evening, Big Daddy Weave, Chris Sligh, & Luminate put on an incredible concert at our church that helped benefit the Christian school my 2 oldest littles attend along with a project our church has been working on.
 Big Daddy Weave
 Chris Sligh
Luminate

I volunteered to cook the after show hot appetizer for the bands.  We weren't given any suggestions, so after carefully considering my options & reviewing several recipes, I settled on my turkey strombolis.  I say MY, because this is one of the few recipes that is actually mine!  Its a variation of a dish I had at a bridal shower years ago, but I have modified it over time to be easier & more family friendly.  It is my go to dish to make for friends who have  just had a baby, a surgery, or a family hardship.  I have been asked several times for the recipe after making it, so now that it is somewhat "famous" (hee hee), I will share it with all, uh, 12 11 blog followers.

TURKEY STROMBOLI

1 lb. ground turkey
1/2 green pepper
1/2 red pepper
1/2 c. mayo or miracle whip- whichever floats your boat.
1/2 c. parmesan cheese + 1/4 cup. separated. (use the real grated stuff, please) 
2 Tbs. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. minced garlic- aprox 2 cloves
pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
 1 egg white
either refrigerated pizza crust or you can make your own.  I use this crust recipe:

4 cups flour
1 1/2 c. warm water
1 tsp. yeast
1/3 c. olive oil + more for drizzling
1 tsp. salt.  
1 tsp. sugar

Combine water & yeast in small bowl- set aside
Mix flour/sugar/salt in a large mixing bowl or bowl from your stand mixer
with mixer on low (with a dough hook) drizzle in olive oil until incorporated.  
gently stir yeast/water mixture & slowly add to flour mixture, until dough forms ball around hook.
Remove dough, place in a bowl greased with olive oil & cover with a towel.  Place in a warm spot to rise

*This dough recipe will make enough for the strombolis PLUS a pizza, so make sure you cut the dough in half if you are just doing the strombolis or double the filling recipe.  

Preheat oven to 375*

Filling:
Brown turkey and drain. finely mince the peppers.  Mix all ingredients, reserving the 1/4 c. of parm. cheese.  
Roll out dough or cut dough into rectangles- aprox. 6 in by 8 in  Put 1/3 cup of the mixture in the middle & fold into thirds, pinching the ends closed or crimping them with a fork.  Brush with an egg white & sprinkle with remaining parm cheese.  Bake until golden brown.  

OR:  appetizer version- 
Cut dough into small squares & press into a greased muffin tin.  Place a scoop of filling in the center & top with a little parmesan cheese.  Bake until crust is golden.  Chiffinade some fresh basil to sprinkle on top.  

  So there you have it.  Enjoy!  This recipe is very family friendly & I usually serve it with a lettuce salad & fresh fruit.  Word from my friend Kayla, who is a teacher at the little's school & the person "in charge" of the hospitality for the bands was that the guys of the bands loved them & devoured them in mere minutes.  I'm pretty proud.  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment