Monday, April 18, 2011

Glass Front Cabinet Transformation.

This project isn't recent.  Its not even one I did in the current house we are living in.  But, it was an easy solution & it worked wonderfully!

In my last kitchen, I had a glass front cabinet.  It was over the desk area in the kitchen, and while I loved it- it lacked character.  When we moved into the kitchen, the cabinets and the walls were white.  White on white.  I like the white on white look, but it wasn't working in this kitchen.  My first project to add character to the kitchen was this one.

Here is the cabinet- before changes:

See??  No character.  My white dishes looked very blah and sad inside this cabinet.  Here is what I decided to do.

First I measured my cabinet.  Specifically I measured the back space of each shelf.  Then I cut foam board to that size.  It is just the super cheap foam board that you can find in the office section of any big box store or craft store.  Nothing fancy. :)

Then I ironed my fabric to rid it of any wrinkles.  The fabric I chose matched a striped fabric that I planned to use for cornice boards in the dining room (they never happened, but that is the problem with moving every 2 years! Grr!)
I then cut the fabric to the size of the foam board with about an inch overhang on all sides.  Originally I planned to use spray adhesive to attach the fabric to the foam board, but I decided that I wanted to have the option of changing the fabric without having to re-cut the foam board every time.  So...I got out the handy dandy duct tape.  You can't go wrong with that stuff!
Here is the front of a finished panel:
The next part is simple.  Simply slide the panels into place in the cabinet.  Mine fit snugly since I made them the exact size, so I didn't feel the need to add any fasteners, but if I had, I probably would have used velcro.
Finished look (before we changed out cabinet hardware- please excuse the tacky, cheap, gold knobs)

Much better!  My white dishes pop now & it has character.  Here is the cabinet after we painted the kitchen & added the new hardware (2 weeks before moving. *sigh*).  Hopefully someone buys our house soon & enjoys that beautiful kitchen & dining room as much as I did.

once again a before & after:

Have a wonderful Monday!



3 comments:

  1. Visiting from A2D....

    What a great idea! I'd never have thought of that, but they just look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really neat idea! Mine are all closed; but, I will keep in mind for the future! :)

    Cori at ILoveLucyJean

    ReplyDelete