Sunday, July 3, 2011

Why Grandma & Grandpa's house is magical

I grew up in an extremely small town.  Not 20,000 people- which some people consider small.  Not even close.  My town's population is 209 & I have a hard time believing that is correct.  I had ten people in my graduating class.  When I graduated, I couldn't wait to leave my small town and small community and pursue bigger and better things.  I chose a college as far away from home as I could, without going out of state. (Dad said out of state schools cost too much.  Frugality runs in our family.)

As I have grown older, I have come to appreciate the small town I lived in.  Not a lot of my friends now can say they participated in every. single. activity. their school offered. (except cheerleading- no desire to do that one)  I was a 3 sport athlete. I was also on the academic decathlon team, speech team, drama team, in choir and band, mock trial, and the list goes on.  Granted, I did have to run cross country at another school since ours was too small to have a team.  Plus, I could still call up an old teacher if need be, and they would know exactly who I was.  I taught for 5 years, and I KNOW I couldn't tell you the names of every student I taught.  Of course I had more 6th graders in one year than there were k-12 students in the school I grew up in.  :)

But I have come to realize that I took advantage of living in a small town.  I know it instilled in me values I will have forever.  Skills that have helped me succeed.  Lessons I learned, mistakes I've made, and dreams I have dreamed were all forged in that small community. 

Grandma & Grandpa's house
Where you can...
 Fight off imaginary villains with a big stick- "Stay out of the sandbox!"
 Play under a willow tree
 Find the perfect hiding spot...
Jump over a running stream...

Spot a frog on a lily pad...

 Learn how to shell peas...
        

 Look at LOTS of pretty flowers...
Enjoy the beauty in a walk along the railroad tracks...

See the sun set over the farm...

I pray that my kids will always love going to Grandma & Grandpa's.  My mom often voices that one day they won't want to come hang out with her & will find the farm "boring".  I hope that doesn't ever happen.  For now I don't have to worry.  They love our visits there.  Even if it takes nearly a whole day to get to my parent's- its worth it. 


For home truly is where your heart is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment